Sunday, May 31, 2009

At the doctor's office

The oral surgeon's office, to be exact. I broke an old dead tooth off recently and am going to have an implant. I went to the oral surgeon last week for an evaluation.

 


I am fascinated by the 360 degree x-ray of my mouth. I thought it looked like I had a very odd jawbone until I realized it's my entire mouth, flattened out.

 
Posted by Picasa


I love technology and how the x-rays appear immediately on the computer.

I'll have the rest of the broken tooth extracted in about a month, along with a bone graft. I found it interesting on the consent forms that they use cadaver and bovine bone! I jokingly told them I wanted the bovine bone (I could be part cow!) but they use cadaver. Although the surgeon said he would do whatever I wanted :).

After the extraction, I have to wait 6-8 weeks then a metal cylinder which will act as the tooth root is implanted. After that, I'll get an artificial tooth from my dentist.

Dental Implant Surgery - MayoClinic.com

2 comments:

  1. That would be cool if you were part cow. What is a cadaver? A human???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! They get the bone from a tissue bank in Miami where people donate their organs etc.

    ReplyDelete