Friday, February 22, 2008

Squirrel Nests

When we got home I was looking up in the trees and noticed a nest in the top of a tall oak tree across the road. I was wondering if it was a crow's nest, but then I saw a squirrel up there and it looked like it went in.

I never knew they built nests like that! The outside is interwoven twigs, and they build up the inside with softer things like leaves and bark and fur. (We should give them all the Stubby fur we collect in this house).

Anyway, I thought they just lived in holes of trees. Apparently that is the preferred location but they will build these kind when the holes are scarce.

This is a very interesting article about tree squirrels and their habits:

http://www.wvdnr.gov/wildlife/magazine/archive/04Winter/clumps_of_leaves.shtm

No comments:

Post a Comment