Monday, November 19, 2007

Weekend Update

Well it's deer hunting season here in West Virginia, which is a VERY BIG DEAL here. This week, lots of men will take off work the whole week, retreat to their cabins in the woods, drink a lot of beer and maybe even shoot a deer or two. It's not just a man thing either. A female attorney I used to work for used to go with her dad every year. I don't know if she still does now that she has three small children, but I wouldn't be surprised if she left them home with her husband to venture out to the woods. I've known a few other women who liked to go as well.

I could not personally kill a deer, or any animal other than bugs and snakes, unless I had to in self defense. But I don't think it's wrong. I eat meat, and the cows and chicken and pigs I eat probably didn't have as good a life as the deer who at least get to be wild and free until they are killed. I don't believe that animals should be killed for sport, but food is a valid reason, whether you eat it yourself or donate it to feed the hungry.

My father never hunted deer. He used to go squirrel hunting when I was little but that's about it as far as I know. He would frequently bring home deer meat given to him by guys at the plant though. Then we would have Bambi Stew.

Unfortunately, hunting season also stirs the deer up even more than they already are and that means more road kill as well. We had one deer running through our yard this morning and saw two dead ones on the road on the way to work.

Our weekend was pretty routine. Saturday we went to the annual Arts & Crafts Fair held at the Charleston Civic Center. I was looking to do some Christmas shopping but didn't buy anything except some cookies. I am having a hard time this year deciding on gifts. I also stopped at Michael's and picked up some stuff to experiment with painting - some clear glass ornament bulbs and some wooden plaques.

After we got home I went through a box of CD's and sold 7 of them on www.cashforcds.com.

Sunday we had breakfast out then spent the rest of the day at home. I made soup, did laundry and did some painting.

I'm glad I only have to work 3 days this week. Today we're having a pot luck luncheon at work and I got up early and made broccoli casserole in the crockpot.

I'm glad this is a 3 day week.

No comments:

Post a Comment