Thursday, May 08, 2008

Container Gardening

Along with my plants in the ground, I have one tomato, one cucumber and one green pepper plant in containers. As well as one tomato in an upside down container, with basil planted on the top of the planter.

I still need to go back and get a grape tomato plant (I thought I had one but got the wrong one) and rosemary. Maybe garlic too, if I can find some.

Some info on container gardening:

"Here is a sample of things you can grow at home.

Small pots can be used to grow herbs of all kinds: basil, chives, oregano, rosemary and many more

Crops in an 8 inch pot: garlic

Crops for a 2 gallon pot: cucumber, squash, peppers, eggplant

Crops that can be grown in a 5 gallon windowbox: lettuce, onion, radishes, spinach, carrots, beans

Crops for a 5 gallon pot: 1 plant each (3 in a 15 gallon pot): broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, chinese cabbage, tomatoes




More here: http://drknow.newsvine.com/_news/2008/01/19/1238898-container-gardening-for-city-folk-saving-money-on-food

2 comments:

  1. Do those upside-down things really work? I've been thinking of getting one for my honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time trying the upside down thing. I looked around online and found people who had done it successfully, making their own instead of buying that one on TV. I bought a wrought iron hanging planter lined with that grass-like stuff and cut a small hole in the grass-like stuff and put it down through there. I will have to update you as I go along, but I expect it to work. They also say you can do cucumbers and peppers and other things in them as well. I wanted to do a cucumber plant like that too but so far I only have the one basket.

    ReplyDelete