Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Seasons

I mentioning the changing of the seasons and seasonal affective disorder in another post. This year I am more in tune with my body and my spirit, and the earth as well I think. I recognize the signs, and I understand that this is a natural cycle. Spring is a time of planting seeds and awakening. Summer is a time of sunshine and growth. Fall is a time of harvest. And winter is a time of dormancy, of slowing down, of retreating, of going within. It is a good time to reflect on the year behind and to prepare for the year ahead.

By recognizing this, I can be easier on myself, knowing that it is just a cycle and must run its course. I don't mourn the fact that summer is gone. I appreciate the beauty of autumn and enjoy the spectacular show of colors Mother Nature gives us as her farewell before she rests. I look forward to the quietness of winter. The trees and flowers may appear to be dead, but I know they are just dormant, and they will be reborn again in the spring. It doesn't have to be a depressing time.

We also have celebrations to look forward to. At Thanksgiving and Christmas we will spend time with our families and celebrate our connections. We will break bread together and exchange gifts as tokens of our affection. We will spend time with people we don't see as often as we'd like. I know that my husband doesn't like the holidays because we rush around to visit everyone over a few days. But I am grateful we have so many people who love us and who want to spend time with us. They won't always be here. Some day it might be just the two of us sitting alone and thinking wistfully of the gatherings of the past, hectic though they may have been. I choose to enjoy this time and make the most of it.

So although I recognize that the change of the season affects me, this year I resolve to be aware of it, to accept it for what it is, and to stay in the flow of the natural cycles of the earth without resistance. And I think overall I will be better off psychologically and physically for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment