Friday, June 27, 2008

Can you have too many friends?

Today I was having lunch with 2 of my 3 closest girlfriends (who I refer to as "the Girlies") and mentioned that I was planning to have lunch next week with a couple of people I met on Twitter and saying how I didn't even think I would stay on Twitter, I just tried it out for fun, but have met some fun new people there and found I really like it.

I don't remember what her exact words were, but she said something like why was I interested in meeting new people, she didn't have enough time for the friends she has already and she just doesn't want any more new friends. She just couldn't understand why I would want to do this.

She is not online, so she doesn't understand that being friends with people online it's easier to "spend time together".  We don't have to hang out in person, we learn about one another through our blogs and interacting through comments and Twitter and e-mail.  And we can do it whenever we have a few spare moments. 

I didn't really answer her or try to justify why I like meeting new people.  But I thought about it, and thought what I would miss if I decided not to have any new friends. 

I have met some of the most amazing people online.  Some of them I've met in person; some I hope to meet in person; and some of them I'll never meet in person.  Some of them I know will be my friends for life.  Some I know I could show up on their doorstep and they would take me in (at least for a night haha).  

They have inspired me, made me laugh, made me cry, taught me about life, taught me about myself, helped me learn about places I've never been, let me live vicariously through them as they did things I'll probably never get to do, supported me when I've been down, cheered for my successes, grieved with me, prayed for me, gave me advice, and loved me just for me.

I am grateful for all of them, those I am still in contact with and those I'm not.  I wouldn't have missed meeting them for the world, and I don't want to miss out on some of the other amazing people I know I will meet in the future.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

  1. I'm a total meet-new-friend junkie. I love meeting new people--especially online.

    I don't think you can have too many friends....especially online friends. It's pretty easy to keep up with people.

    Real-life friends might be a different story. I would find it hard to have plans with so many people. That would stress me out. I would have to be one of those people who carry around a calender. "Let me see if I can pencil you in for lunch. How about in three weeks? I have an hour free."

    ReplyDelete