Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Firefox

I have been using IE7 at work and Firefox at home. I try to avoid downloading software onto the work computer because when I managed computers, it used to piss me off when people did that without asking. But I decided today I was going to go ahead and get Firefox (because no one seems to care around here).

I didn't pick a very good day to do it. I forgot today was when the new Firefox version comes out. I also forgot that Firefox is going for a world record of most software downloaded in a day. It was to be available at 1:00 pm eastern. But I can't get to the site. I was looking for something that mentioned the record and found they have a different website for the download (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/) but it won't come up either. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise! Like Oprah, they broke the internets.

OK, kids, ready to go for the record? The latest version of the free browser Firefox is set to launch at 10 a.m. PST today, and organizers are hoping so many people will download it, the Guinness Book of World Records will cite it for "most software downloaded in 24 hours." You can get Firefox 3 from the official "Download Day" site here.
...
Guinness doesn't have a current record holder for most software downloaded in a day. Firefox will be petitioning Guinness to accept its record as the one to beat.
...
As of 8 a.m. PST Tuesday, 1,687,332 had pledged to download Firefox. "We think 5 million downloads is imminently doable," John Lilly, CEO if the Mozilla Corp., told me today. That's 3.4 million more downloads than Firefox's previous record, set October 24, 2006, when Firefox 2 was released."


http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1815363,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment